5 Tips for Effective Follow up
So you have started your business! An exciting time, and yet a bit daunting at the same time wouldn't you say?
We want to give you a few tips to ensure that you stand out above the rest, these days people are looking for even better customer service! In a world filled with emails, voicemail and recorded customer service (think of the last time you called into your bank or telephone company) it is important to do a few things well.
Treat your customers well:
How are you going to stand out above the rest? What will you do for your customers to make them remember the experience they have had with you? You want to be a leader, not a follower, so figure out what your niche is and be different, be memorable, be likeable.
Follow up! Now this is a big one:
If you have a great product, and you treat your customers well when you are working with them, you still have to bow to the fact that 80% of sales are still made after the 5thcontact. And yet still only 48% of us ever take the time to follow up!
You have to MAKE the calls to GET the customers so that you CAN treat them well!
National Sales Executive Association
What is it that stops us from picking up the phone or walking in the door of a prospect? We are scared of rejection, we don’t want to appear pushy, we keep ourselves to “busy” doing things that do nothing to help our bottom line at the end of the day. So what if I told you that you could increase your sales to put food on your table, take your kids on a holiday, buy a new pair of shoes or put someone through school if you just followed up 4 more times with each prospect or customer?
It is that simple, figure out what you want, and then focus on THAT (we call it our WHY) when you don’t have the energy to pick up the phone.
Statistics don’t lie, but we often like to lie to ourselves about what we really did to be effective today.
Here are 5 tips on effective follow up:
- Put a photo of what you want in front of your phone. Know that this is absolutely obtainable if you consistently just follow up 4 more times with your prospects.
- Do a Go for No challenge. Look for 10 no’s a day, mark them off on your calendar . This will make it easier to make that call! If you are looking for a no, it is so much easier to deal with that fear of rejection! As David Kelley wrote: “Fail Faster, Succeed Sooner”
- Stand up and walk around when you are on the phone, it makes your voice seem more relaxed and it helps you to create more energy. A key selling feature: believe it or not your prospect can hear that energy in your voice on the other side and will resonate with that energy.
- Have fun! We are all just people, wanting to feel special. So make your clients feel special and watch not only your sales grow, but as well relationships grow.
- Get rid of the sticky notes! Use a proper CRM to ensure that you are keeping good notes on all your clients, one that allows you to journal your conversations, referrals, meetings, and upcoming reminders. Ensure it is one that is accessible from wherever you are, on any computer (WEB BASED!) People will trust you more when you are professional and show that you have kept good track of the client’s needs and wants. Remember, people don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care.
Keep your eye on the big picture, have fun and remember:
“Follow up or get swallowed up.” Mary-Jane Mehlenbacher FIITFU CRM Solutions